It can be difficult to turn on the TV, turn on a computer, or shop in any store without being bombarded with glossy, airbrushed photos of supposedly perfect women. But contrary to popular belief, body positivity isn’t just about achieving “perfection.” It’s about celebrating our physical appearance and fostering self-love and confidence. Embracing body positivity is about accepting and valuing our bodies, just as they are, and celebrating the unique beauty of every individual. By understanding the core principles of body positivity, women from all walks of life can learn to accept and love themselves, and boost their confidence in the process.
1. Understanding Body Positivity: The Journey to Self-Love
Feeling happy and satisfied with your body may seem like a distant dream for many of us. Body positivity is the journey that begins with recognizing the physical and mental changes in ourselves and concluded with loving and accepting who we are. Here are a few ways to begin your own journey to self-love:
- Focus on the positive: Taking the time to recognize your physical and mental strengths can help shift your mindset to loving yourself. Instead of focusing on a particular area that you do not like, cherish those that you do and value the amazing things your body can do.
- Stop Comparing: Comparing yourself to others leads to feelings of dissatisfaction and dissatisfaction. Once you start to appreciate yourself for your unique beauty and qualities, you will start to recognize how wonderful and powerful you truly are.
- Practice Self-Care: A key element of body positivity is taking care of yourself. This means making time for self-care, including taking proper care of your body by getting enough sleep and nutrition, surrounding yourself with positive people, and engaging in activities that make you feel good.
- Reconnect with Your Feelings: Developing an understanding of your emotions can help you become more in tune with your body. Instead of judging or punishing yourself for feeling certain emotions, make space to explore different feelings and recognize that all feelings are valid.
Remember to be gentle and kind to yourself on your journey. Body positivity is a process that requires a lot of self-reflection and understanding, and it takes time. Celebrate each small step of progress and take responsibility for you own wellbeing.
Find & Continue Your Path
Your journey to self-love starts with understanding what body positivity is and committing to the process of improving your relationship with yourself. Keeping a positive mindset, focus on the present and be willing to make changes for the better.
2. Breaking Through the Social Confines of Unattainable Beauty
For many of us, there’s a certain type of beauty that we find difficult to define or attain – something that’s often seen on the covers of glossy magazines, or in the latest Instagram posts of influencers. In a way, it feels almost unattainable, something that’s only meant for ‘perfect’ people.
But it’s important to remember – beauty is more than just physical appearance. It’s a symbol of our inner strength and our ability to overcome life’s challenges. So while it can be easy to get discouraged by those glossy magazine covers and elaborate Instagram posts, there’s something much more powerful that should guide our understanding of beauty: our own unique abilities and qualities.
Start by making a list of the things that make you unique. Here are some examples:
- Your creative skills, from writing to painting to photography.
- Your intelligence, from the bachelor’s degree you just earned to the quirky facts you know.
- Your sense of humor, from witty punchlines to witty comebacks.
- Your strength, from the physical feats you’ve accomplished to the emotional resilience you’ve developed over the years.
These things are what make you you, and they are far more valuable than any physical beauty that could be portrayed. There’s nothing wrong with appreciating physical beauty, but it shouldn’t be a source of comparison or envy.
3. Navigating the Path to Self-Acceptance and Positive Self-Image
Self-acceptance and forming a positive self-image can often feel like a daunting task. Yet doing so has huge returns – not only can it help with identifying and making amends to past traumas, it also opens the door to healthier, more fulfilling relationships with ourselves and those around us. Here’s a few tips to help meander the path towards self-acceptance.
- Be Kind to Yourself: Try your best to be conscious and conscious of each word you use when talking to yourself. Very seldom do you need to be so hard on yourself – acknowledge mistakes, of course, but also recognise your strengths and be your own best friend.
- Celebrate the Little Wins: Progress can come in many shapes and forms – and regularly, the growth is so incremental we don’t even notice it. Take the time to slow down and acknowledge any progress you may have made.
- Surround Yourself with Positivity: A big element of making strides forward is being surrounded by the right things. Who is bringing out the best in you? Who is an unwavering source of support, especially through tough times? Strengthen these relationships and they may provide a needed boost towards self-acceptance.
It’s worth noting, however, that self-acceptance isn’t a tangible thing you can tick from your to-do list. It will no doubt require work, patience, and understanding. With time, however, these efforts are rewarded. Summary – be patient, be kind, stay positive, keep going.
4. Establishing a Sense of Strength and Resilience Through Self-Worth
In the search for self-worth, consider the possibility of finding it through an inner strength and resilience. To discover the potential of this positive cycle, it’s helpful to take a closer look at the various ways in which self-worth brings an increase in strength and resilience.
- The ability to make decisions from a place of self-worth releases the demands and expectations of external sources. This allows you to move confidently in your own value system, creating steadiness and security in your life.
- By looking within and understanding who you are and what brings you satisfaction and joy, possibilities for growth and transformation will open up.
- Developing a connection to your internal worthiness increases resilience. It allows you to relax into the tension and ambiguity that naturally occurs in all relationships and life events, allowing you to move forward with strength and grace.
By identifying and affirming your capacity for self-worth, you become closer and more connected to it. Your ability to love yourself from the inside out offers you the courage and insight to restore and enhance your inner strength and resilience. When you trust your inner worth, it has the profound capacity to open up doors to new possibilities you never thought possible. This sense of empowerment allows you to express who you are fully and fearlessly.
5. Embracing Body Positivity: Finding Equanimity in Self-Love
In recent years, the body positivity movement has encouraged us to unlearn oppressive societal norms and appreciate our own unique physical forms. As we live lives immersed in a media-driven culture which often rewards extreme thinness and physical perfection, we must make the conscious effort to adopt a more balanced view of our bodies based on self-love and equanimity.
1. Embracing Body Diversity
We are all unique in our features and many people come in many different sizes, shapes, and colors – no one body type can speak for everyone. Taking this wider, “bigger than life” perspective and being acutely aware of the diversity of bodies can help us to appreciate ourselves and our body shape for what is really is.
2. Analyzing Diet Culture
It is important to critically analyze how diet culture has infiltrated our lives, and to resist the idea that thinness is superior to other body types. By recognizing the myriad of ways in which our world is structured to uphold extreme thinness – from Instagram filters to our diets – we can start to shift how we view our own physicality.
3. Celebrating Self-Love
The more we recognize the potential power of self-love and acceptance, the closer you will be to embracing equanimity in your own body. Let go of ideas you may have about what your body “should be.” Focus your energy on nourishing your body and celebrating it for its capacity. Examples include getting dressed in clothing that you know makes you feel good, exercising in ways that you enjoy, and practicing mindful self-care.
At the end of the day, body positivity is an incredible tool for uplifting ourselves, as well as each other. By embracing the experience of loving our bodies, we can all feel emboldened to take bold steps in striving for our greatest potential. Let’s support one another and promote body positivity, knowing it can be the key to unlocking life’s fullest joys and to better embracing who we are.