A nourishing breakfast bowl may sound strange, but don’t let their unfamiliarity fool you. Combining a few nutritious ingredients together can result in a delicious and energizing meal that will kickstart your day! This article will cover some of the best wholesome breakfast bowl recipes and explain why these nourishing dishes are so beneficial.
1. Wake Up Right: Bowls Packed With Nourishing Breakfast Goodness
Jump-starting your mornings with a bowl of warm, nourishing goodness not only sets the tone for the day, but lets you get a jumpstart on your wellness journey. Here are some refreshing breakfast options that are packed with all the vital nutrients that you need to power through the day:
- Overnight oats: A combination of oats, almond milk, banana, chia seeds, and fruits is the perfect on-the-go grab-and-go breakfast that’s both protein-rich and tasty.
- Smoothie bowls: Whip up some dairy-free yogurt, blend in your favourite fruits and top it off with some crunchy granola—and you can have a delectable, nutrient-dense breakfast ready in no time.
- Cereal bowls: Who said cereal was only for kids? Get creative with your combinations—for instance, try making a grown-up twist to the classic cereal bowl with banana slices, cinnamon, and a few drops of honey.
- Breakfast burritos: Stuff a wrap with scrambled eggs, spinach, grilled chicken, olives, and whatever else you like, and you’ve got yourself a filling and healthy breakfast.
Fruit salads: A bowl of fresh fruits isn’t just a burst of sweet flavours – it’s also loaded with fibre, antioxidants, and vitamins. Topping it off with some low-fat yoghurt or Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey confers multiple health benefits.
Egg burrito bowls: To make a delicious egg burrito bowl, lightly sauté some vegetables of your choice, add some cottage cheese and a beaten egg, and microwave it for about a minute. Top it off with some diced tomatoes, cheese, and freshly chopped herbs.
2. Unlocking the Benefits of Eating Wholesome Breakfasts
It’s no secret that breakfast is widely known as one of the most important meals of the day; it provides essential energy and nutrients to keep us going throughout our day-to-day activities. Yet, many of us don’t make enough of an effort to start the day with a wholesome and nutritious breakfast. Even if this is mostly the case, it’s worth taking the extra step to maximize the nutritional potential of our first meal of the day.
Choose Healthy Foods
When it comes to breakfast, nothing beats natural and healthy with no added sugar. Try eggs, omelets or oatmeal, as these are all great sources of protein, slow-burning carbohydrates and healthy fats. Avocado, chia seeds, and any other type of seeds can also be great additions to any healthy breakfast dish.
Focus on Nutrients
A wholesome breakfast should include an even mix of nutritious foods, including protein, complex carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins and minerals. Fresh fruits and vegetables make an ideal choice as every spoonful takes us one step closer to our daily requirement of essential vitamins and minerals.
Important Benefits of Eating Healthy Breakfasts
- Improves concentration and provides more energy for the day
- Increasing cognitive skills and enhancing memory
- Contributes to healthy eating habits which, in turn, reduces the risk of diseases like obesity, diabetes andheart diseases
- Reduces the likelihood of experiencing energy and sugar crashes during the day
In short, starting our morning with a refreshing, wholesome and energizing breakfast sets a positive tone for the rest of the day. Doing so can provide our body with all the necessary nutrients and vitamins to promote a healthy lifestyle and can make us feel full for hours afterwards.
3. Nourishing Recipes to Jump-Start Your Day
Starting your day with a nutritious meal sets the tone for the rest of the day. We’ve rounded up a few recipes to get you going.
- Evergreen Smoothie – Start your day with a burst of energy with this nutrient-rich smoothie. Combine a banana, some spinach, creamy avocado, and your favorite nut milk for a heavenly blend of freshness. Add in some honey for a hint of sweetness.
- Overnight Oats – Not a morning person? With this overnight oats recipe, you can have a nourishing breakfast in the morning without much effort. Simply combine oats, nut milk, almond butter, dried fruits, and chia seeds, leave it in the refrigerator, and have a wholesome breakfast ready for you the next morning.
- Veggie Frittata– A frittata is a great source of lean protein and healthy vegetables. Mix up eggs with your favorite veggies such as bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, and then bake it. You can have this with a side of toast and coffee, and you’re good to go!
Tip: Try to incorporate as many nutrient-dense ingredients in these recipes. As much as possible, choose organic, natural, and locally-sourced ingredients to make them as healthy as can be!
4. A Bowlful of Positive Eating Habits
Make Well-Balanced Meals
Packing your meals from home and ensuring they are well-balanced and nutritious is a great way to maintain positive eating habits. Ensure your meals are wholesome and include all the nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Include plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits for extra fiber and nutrients.
Eat Multiple Small Meals
Eating in smaller portions more regularly can be beneficial in maintaining healthy and positive eating habits. Eating smaller meals also helps to control appetite, reduce cravings and stop overeating. Packing healthy snacks can also be helpful in between the meals if you’re feeling hungry and need an extra boost.
It’s ok to give in to cravings and enjoy a cheat day once in a while. However, make sure that the treats do not take over your diet and are only occasional. Look for healthier alternatives when it comes to junk food such as homemade versions of deep-fried snacks that have less oil or healthy smoothie bowls for an indulgent dessert.
Staying hydrated is an essential part of maintaining positive eating habits. Water keeps the body energised and prevents overeating. You can even add some fresh fruits such as lemons, oranges or cucumbers to make the water more interesting. Tea and coffee are also great options.
5. Delicious Ways to Start Your Morning Off Right
Not feeling as motivated to rise and shine early? Here are five delicious ways to jumpstart your day and get your energy flowing.
- Pair a banana with peanut butter: Start your day off with a tasty and healthy combination of complex carbohydrates and plant-based proteins. A banana and peanut butter combination is a perfect way to fuel-up with important vitamins and minerals.
- Dress up your yogurt: Yogurt gives you essential probiotic bacteria to keep your gut healthy and can be a fun way to jazz up breakfasts. Choose flavours that you enjoy and add some fresh fruit, oatmeal and nuts for some extra crunch.
- Scramble up some eggs: Eggs are an excellent source of healthy proteins and fats as well as a B-complex vitamins. Feel free to throw in whatever vegetables you have in the fridge for added nutrition.
- Give into your sweet tooth: Adding a touch of sweetness to your breakfast doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Lean towards whole-grains such as homemade oatmeal pancakes or toasted oats with a generous top of fresh fruit.
- Indulge in a smoothie: Blending some fresh or frozen fruit, nuts, yogurt and a touch of honey or maple syrup can give you a nutrient-dense breakfast drink. If you’re in hurry, you can grab a bottled smoothie out of the way.
Whichever you choose, make the most out of your breakfast. Give your body the energy it needs to get going for the day.
Start your day off right with one of these nourishing breakfast bowls! Whether you’re looking for something creamy and decadent or light and energizing, you’re sure to find something to inspire you to have a great day. So, go ahead and treat yourself - try one of these wholesome breakfast bowls and start your day feeling nourished and energized. Enjoy!