Satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling guilty thanks to these delicious treats with a healthy twist. Whether you’re in search of a sugary snack for later or a guilt-free dessert to top off the meal, you’ll find something that satisfies your cravings. Here, we’ll share some of the best sweet treats with a healthy twist that are just as indulgent and delicious as their unhealthy counterparts. Let’s indulge in the healthier side of dessert.
1. Enjoying Life’s Sweet Treats, the Healthy Way
With the prevalence of an array of unhealthy desserts, such as high sugar candies, pies, cakes, and more, it is becoming increasingly important to find alternative, healthier options. Thankfully, with just a few tweaks to some recipes, or with some knowledge of good substitutes, sweet treats and desserts can be consumed not only with an indulgent layer of taste, but without the guilt as well!
- Use dark chocolate or cocoa instead of milk. Dark chocolate is often a healthier alternative to milk chocolates, as it can benefit the body by being a good source of several important minerals like iron, magnesium, and zinc. You can use it for hot cocoa, ice cream, brownies, and more!
- Substitute honey or agave for refined sugars. Replacing refined sugars with raw honey or agave can be a great way to sweeten up any dessert. Both options are natural alternatives. Honey is also packed with essential vitamins and minerals, while agave is slightly lower in calories. Try honey for pancakes, muffins, and cake!
- Opt for whole wheat flour when baking. Wheat flour is much healthier than refined flour, and can benefit the body with its high fibre content. Good thing is, it can easily replace refined flour in most desserts, without making a huge difference in taste. It’s great for crusts, biscuits, and cookies.
There are several other healthier ingredients you can use to switch out any dessert for a more wholesome option! Making healthy choices not only prevents health issues like obesity and diabetes, but also keeps the body energised and healthy with a host of helpful vitamins and minerals.
So the next time you feel the urge to indulge in an unhealthy treat, try reaching for one of the healthier alternatives! There are plenty of ways to enjoy life’s sweet treats while still taking care of your body.
2. Delicious and Nourishing: A New Way of Looking at Indulgent Desserts
Healthy Version of Your Favourite Sweet Treats
Do you love a delicious sweet treat after dinner, but worry about the added sugar? With a few easy swaps, you can indulge and still nourish yourself. Here are some smart alternatives:
- Chocolate Bark: Go for a dark chocolate, with at least 70% cocoa content. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and has a lower sugar content than milk and white chocolate. Top it with dried fruit, nuts, seeds and a sprinkle of sea salt for an extra punch of flavour.
- Fresh Fruit Tart: Try combining all of your favourite seasonal fruits into a delicious tart. swap out the sugary pastry for a lower-sugar sweet pastry or pastry made with nuts instead of flour.
- No-bake cheesecake: Gain all the satisfaction of a creamy cheesecake without the time-consuming baking process. Instead, swap the biscuit base with almonds and use low-fat cream cheese and Greek yogurt to get the perfect balance of sweet and sour.
These versions are not only just as delicious as the originals, they provide more nutrition and keep you full for longer too. Don’t be fooled by sugary sweets, you can still enjoy both flavour and good nutrition with these healthier options.
3. Indulging in Sweet Treats That Do Right By Your Health
Everybody knows that a sinfully sweet treat is one of life’s greatest joys — but not everybody knows how to get that sweet treat without throwing all their health goals out the window. Don’t worry — there are plenty of options that are still delightful without the guilt. Here are three suggestions.
- Frozen Yogurt:
Satisfy your craving for something cool and creamy by diving into a bowl of lightly sweetened frozen yogurt. It’s generally lower in fat and calories than ice cream, and because you can choose your own toppings, you can nudge your yogurt treat even closer to a healthier treat. skip the chocolate syrup and oil-filled sprinkles, and try adding pomegranate seeds, fresh berries, or a drizzle of honey.
- Tahini-Date Treats:
Tahini, the nutty sesame paste, makes a great pairing with dates. Blend them together with a little extra sweetness, shape them into small bites, and you’ve got yourself a homemade healthy treat that tastes like a million bucks. These protein-packed goodies are also a great snack to keep on hand to ward off sugar cravings.
- Baked Apple:
Bake up a juicy apple and fill the cavity with your favorite toppings. You might go the savory route and choose some seeds, pecans, and oats, or you might take the sweeter route and add some ground nuts, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Play around with some different combinations until you find the perfect mixture!
4. Revamp Your Favourite Desserts with Healthy Alternatives
Tired of the same old, dull desserts? Then why not try something a little different and revamp your favourites with a healthier alternative?
- Swap out sugary ice cream for healthier greek yoghurt topped with berries, honey and crushed nuts.
- Replace unhealthy sweet biscuits with oats, almonds, nuts and dates for a delicious energy-packed snack.
If you’re looking for something a little more luxurious, why not try using avocado in place of butter, and natural sweeteners like honey and dates in place of sugar. This will make your favourite desserts a lot healthier but just as tasty.
Who said healthy desserts can’t be delicious? Experiment with flavours to make your desserts just as indulgent but with a nutritious twist. Our favourites include creamy avocado chocolate mousse flavoured with coconut, vegan matcha cookies, and delicious protein smoothie bowls.
5. Clearing Up Common Misconceptions of Eating Healthy Sweets
It is a commonly held belief that people who are eating healthy and following a diet of any having sweet treats is out of the question. While it is true that filling your pantry with unhealthy versions of sugary snacks can derail your health and fitness goals, this does not mean that treats need to be off the menu for good!
In fact, with healthy alternatives, it is possible to enjoy sweeter items without sacrificing too much. Below are five of the most popular misconceptions of eating healthy sweets.
1. They Don’t Taste Good
This couldn’t be further from the truth; well-made healthy sweets can be just as enjoyable as their unhealthy counterparts. You can even enhance them using natural ingredients such as maple syrup, fruit puree, and cocoa powder.
2. Natural Options Are Expensive
- Replacing unhealthy snacks with more natural alternatives can help keep your grocery bill in check.
- The cost of healthy snacks like nuts and dried fruit is very affordable.
- Make sure you read labels carefully to ensure you get the healthiest ingredients for your budget.
3. Natural Sweets Are Too Much Work to Prepare
It is true that some natural sweet treats may take time and effort to prepare, like baking your own desserts. But you can find some options that are easy to make, such as muesli bars, energy balls, and fruit smoothies.
4. Natural Treats Aren’t Convenient
Not all healthy snacks need to take a long time to prepare. You can easily enjoy naturally sweet snacks like fruit, yogurt, or a handful of nuts that don’t take a long time and can be stored easily. trail mixes are also convenient, healthy, and sweet.
5. Natural Treats Lack in Variety
Natural treats are not limited to just one flavor. With a bit of creativity, you can come up with some delicious combinations of natural ingredients. For example, you can mix oats with peanut butter and honey, or a combination of dates and nuts.
Craving something sweet? Suppress your sugar urges the wholesome way and whip up a batch of these sweet treats with a healthy twist. Enjoy your indulgence with no guilt—the better version of dessert is here to stay!