Are you looking for a way to make this Meatless Monday a bit more exciting? If so, then you have definitely come to the right place. We have a delicious selection of vegetarian recipes that will leave your taste buds satisfied and your body nourished. Whether you are a full-time vegetarian or just choosing to live a plant-based lifestyle one day a week, there is something here to tantalise your taste buds and get you feeling great. So, let’s begin the delicious journey into meatless meals that taste just as good as those with meat!
1. Vegetarian Monday: An Introduction
Vegetarian Monday is a world-wide movement that encourages people to go meat-free for at least one day a week. Cutting down on meat-based meals has become the goal of millions of people in recent years, for environmental, ethical and health-related reasons. Fortunately, going meat-free on a Monday doesn’t mean sacrificing flavour or nutrition – there is so much delicious vegetarian food out there!
Why go Vegetarian on Mondays?
- To reduce your own carbon footprint.
- To reduce the demand for animal products.
- To cook delicious dishes without meat.
- Reduce your intake of unhealthy fats.
The National Cancer Institute has also noted the health benefits associated with vegetarian diets - they are capable of reducing the risk of certain cancers, cardiovascular disease, and, (maybe most importantly!) improving your overall wellbeing. So, give vegetarian Mondays a go!
No matter what meals you are cooking up, from soups and pastas to veggie burgers and curries, there are plenty of delicious vegetarian recipes that you can enjoy meat-free. So, why not give it a go? Make it a goal to enjoy a night of ‘veg-cellent’ cooking once a week – who knows, you may find yourself inspired to go full vegetarian!
2. Satisfying Vegetarian Recipes to Start the Week
Welcome vegetarians! We know meal prepping can be challenging and overwhelming, so this week, we’re here to help. Here are some delicious and satisfying vegetarian recipes your whole family will love.
Cottage Pie:The quintessential vegetarian comfort food–Cottage Pie is easy to make and tastes amazing. Start by pre-heating your oven to 200°C (400°F). Sauté some diced onions in a large pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add some diced mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes to soften. Add a can of kidney beans, some tomato paste, and some frozen veg (e.g. corn, carrots, and peas). Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Pour the mixture into your pie dish. Top with mashed potato and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Chilli Sin Carne:This classic vegan meal can be ready in under 30 minutes and contains a ton of flavour. Start by heating some olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and add in some garlic, cumin, paprika, and oregano. Cook until the spices become fragrant. Add a can of rinsed kidney beans and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes. Lastly, stir in a handful of fresh chopped coriander or parsley. Serve with some cooked quinoa, brown rice, or a side of steamed vegetables.
Eggplant Parmigiana:This tasty Italian favourite is sure to please. Start by pre-heating the oven to 200°C (400°F). Slice some eggplants into 0.5 cm slices and place them on a tray lined with baking paper. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, heat some tomato passata in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in your favourite herbs. When the eggplants are ready, layer them with the prepared tomato passata in a baking dish. Sprinkle some grated vegan cheese and sliced olives on top. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and serve.
3. Mouth-watering Meatless Meals
Vegan and vegetarian dishes offer an array of delectable options for meatless meals. From sandwiches stuffed with flavorful fillings to entrées loaded with exciting ingredients, you won’t need to worry about missing out on flavor when you go meatless. Here are three of our favorites:
- Chickpea and Eggplant Curry: tantalize your tastebuds with the aromatic spices and warm flavors of this simple vegan curry. Sweeter than most curries, this meal combines creamy coconut milk, earthy eggplant, and crunchy chickpeas for a delightful medley of textures and flavors.
- Eggplant & Ratatouille Sandwich: for a healthy, light lunch loaded with flavor, stuff a crusty bun with thin slices of baked eggplant, homemade ratatouille, and vegan mayonnaise. This nutritious sandwich has a creamy, smoky, and savory flavor that’s sure to delight.
- Portobello Mushroom Fajitas: Nothing says “tasty” like a fajita, and portobello mushrooms are a delicious replacement for steak. Grill these fleshy mushrooms then top with roasted bell peppers, onions, melted vegan cheese, and fresh cilantro for a delicious meatless meal.
These are just a few of the many exciting options you can choose from when looking for a tasty meatless meal. With a bit of creativity, you can make entrées that range from mildly-spiced to fiery hot, depending on your preference. And in every case, you know your body is getting the nutrition it needs from plant-based ingredients.
4. Spicing Up Your Vegetarian Main Dishes
For a lot of us, vegetarian meals have been our default go-to meals for a long time – but that doesn’t mean they need to be boring! Here are some fun, easy ways to give your vegetarian main dishes a delicious kick.
Experiment with Different Vegetables: Instead of sticking to the same ol’ vegetables, why not try out some new ones? Try roasting, steaming or sautéing a mix of different vibrant vegetables for a mouth-watering main dish. Besides adding more colour and texture to your meal, the different flavours of each veggie will keep things interesting for your taste buds.
Bring Out The Savoury: From zesty tomato sauces to zingy marinades, bring out the savoury flavours in your vegetarian dishes. Here are some tasty ideas to get you started:
- Roast your vegetables in a garlicky herbed oil.
- Sprinkle in a little bit of cheese over your cooked veggies for a richer taste.
- Mix some hot chilli into tomato-based sauces for a spicy kick.
- Experiment with different seasonings to find the perfect balance for your taste.
Fancy up the Presentation: Another great way to add a bit of pizzazz to your vegetarian dishes is to jazz up the presentation. Caramelize your onions before serving, or arrange and layer the vegetables in an interesting pattern. The possibilities are endless – have fun playing around with different visuals to make your dishes stand out!
5. Planning Ahead for Your Next Meatless Monday
- Start with What You Already Have: Use what you have already stocked in your pantry and refrigerator to create a delicious vegan meal! If you already have some vegetables or legumes, experiment with different spices or condiments to create a whole new meal.
- Pre-Prep: To make sure that you’re ready to start cooking when your Meatless Monday arrives, take some time the day before to pre-cut and pre-cook any vegetables or grains you’ll be using. This way you can just throw it all together the following day!
- Plan Ahead: Take some time to do some research into vegan recipes you’d like to try. Check out some of your favorite vegan blogs, or check out some of the many vegan cookbooks out there! If you’re someone who enjoys cooking, you may even want to make a shopping list of ingredients you need for the week.
- Check the Portions: If you’re not used to eating vegan meals, you might need to adjust your portions sizes. This is especially important if you’re eating a meal with higher carbohydrates or plant-based proteins. Make sure to research the appropriate portion size for each food you use to make sure you get the right balance of nutrients and energy each day.
Learning how to plan for Meatless Monday is essential if you want to maintain a healthy plant-based diet. With a little planning and preparation, you can make Meatless Monday delicious and easy! You won’t have to worry about being stuck in the kitchen during the week because you can make sure everything is in place. Whether you use pre-cut vegetables or plan ahead with vegan recipes, you can make sure that your Meatless Mondays are delicious and nutritious!
Trying vegetarian recipes doesn’t have to be a bore. With the recipes in this article, Meatless Mondays can be anything but dull! Give some of these recipes a try and with a little bit of creativity, you’ll be sure to come up with an evening meal that the whole family will be satisfied with!